26 Jun Scientific Evidence Based Advice for IUI in Treatment of Infertility
Assisted reproductive technology (ART) has become an essential mode of a method for multiple infertility cases. Among all the ART techniques, Intra-uterine insemination (IUI), ICSI (Intra cytoplasmic insemination) & IVF (In vitro fertilization) are the most popular ones. However, IUI has become the first choice of treatment in case of unexplained infertility. The main purpose of this artificial insemination is to enhance the gamete density at the time of fertilization. In human, normal sperm has the capacity to fertilize an oocyte for about 5 days. An oocyte is fertilized for approx 12–24 hours after ovulation. So, IUI works on the principle of “enhancing the number of sperms and oocytes at the right place at the right time.”
Advantages of IUI over ICSI and IVF
Compared to ICSI & IVF, the technique of IUI is:
- Easy to operate
- Economical in cost
- Minimal equipment required
- Less invasive
What are the indications of IUI treatment?
- Cervical issues: Due to repetitive negative post coitus test, even if the semen quality. IUI was observed to increase the conceiving rate in 51% women compared to 33% in control group in a prospective randomized clinical trial in sub-fertile couples suffering from isolated cervical factor.
- Unexplained infertility: Several meta-analysis studies have revealed that, by combining IUI & ovarian stimulation, live birth rates and significantly improve live birth rates in couples with unexplained infertility.
- Sexual disorder: Usually in case of low semen parameters in men suffering from retrograde ejaculation, semen preparation followed by IUI is mostly recommended by several societies.
Parameters of Sperm mostly examined in male infertility
Many research articles, reviews and Meta-analysis have published data which strongly correlate with IUI & sperm quality. There are generally four vital parameters which were mostly examined. They are:
- Sperm morphology
- IMC (inseminating motile count after washing)
- TMSC (total motile sperm count in the native sperm sample)
- TM (total motility in the native sperm sample)
In nutshell, treatment by IUI with husband’s sperm remains the first choice for the Human subfertility. Added with lots of advantages without major surgeries or invasion has led to rise in the demand of IUI in India with economical based treatment.
There are many IUI training centres in India specifically designed for medical background students who want to establish andrology lab or wants to be groom their career as an Infertility expert & Embryologist.
If you have the passion to learn about state of the ART (Assisted Reproductive Technology) with cutting edge technology under the guidance of Dr. Rita Bakshi & Competent Team, Get admission now by filling the details in the section mentioned below or write us at firstname.lastname@example.org for any query.