24 Jan Causes of failed IVF cycles
Your IVF journey must have been an emotional struggle and coping up with an IVF failure is heart wrenching. If you also had a failed IVF, the first question in your mind after an IVF failure would be why did this happen? Below are a few causes that caused a failed IVF:
- Chromosomal abnormalities
- Implantation dysfunction
- Difficulty in embryo transfer
- Poor sperm quality
After an IVF failure, shunning your patient is not right as they are likely to become vulnerable to distress post IVF failure. During this time, the doctor should be patient and provide full support to the patient.
How to troubleshoot the causes of IVF failure?
- If you have been diagnosed with chromosomal abnormalities then you can go for PGD (Pre-implantation genetic diagnosis). It is a process where the quality and survival rate of embryos is assessed and only the best quality embryos are used for maximum chances of a successful pregnancy.
- If you had implantation dysfunction then your doctor would freeze your eggs and provide estrogen supplementation to improve your uterine lining. You would be administered with GCSF (Granulocyte Colony Stimulating Factor). If this doesn’t work, you should go for surrogacy.
- If you had difficulty in embryo transfer then your doctor may for ultrasound guidance, changing the catheter unit or opt for ZIFT (Zygote IntraFallopian Transfer).
- If you had an IVF failure due to poor sperm of your male partner then your doctor might suggest you to use a sperm donor. In this case, an embryology specialist may prefer using fresh sperm sample instead of frozen sperm sample. If you still fail to achieve a successful IVF then you can go for ICSI (Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection).
- If you experienced an IVF failure due to incompetency or efficiency, you can visit other clinics for treatment or ask for second opinion.
Patients who recently had an IVF failure are very emotional at this stage and need to be dealt with patience and affection, as IVF is their last hope to have a baby. A doctor should offer utmost support to help them cope up with this failure and encourage them to join support groups and seek advice from expert patients as well.
If you have the passion to learn about state of the ART (Assisted Reproductive Technology) with cutting edge technology under the guidance of Dr. Rita Bakshi & Competent Team, Get admission now by filling the details in the section mentioned below or write us at email@example.com for any query.